If you have solar panels then you should also have a solar powered energy storage system. Especially if your solar panels garner more power than your home is able to use. That energy has to go somewhere, which is why solar batteries are an essential part of any residential or commercial solar system. In this article we’ll discuss how they work, advantages and disadvantages, as well as how to choose the best solar battery backup system for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact our team if you have any questions, or if you’d like to schedule a one-on-one consultation.
How Does a Solar Powered Energy Storage System Work?
When your solar panels generate more electricity than your house is able to use, the excess energy cannot and should not go to waste. The solution? Excess energy goes into a solar battery backup system where it’s stored until your home needs it. Rather than sending excess energy back to the power grid, you can store it in a solar battery and access it when necessary.
- Energy independence: If you live in an area that experiences frequent blackouts or where your power supply goes on and off, having a solar battery is a huge advantage because you can continue powering your home when the power grid goes down.
- Eco-conscious: When your home pulls the excess energy from your solar batteries, that’s power that it doesn’t have to draw from the grid – making it a much more environmentally friendly option.
- Peace and quiet: Which would you rather have powering your home during a blackout – a silent solar battery or a noisy generator?
- Expensive installation costs: Installing a home solar system that includes solar batteries can be expensive, but there are various solar tax credits and incentives within the state of New Jersey that you can take advantage of to help offset the cost. You’ll also be earning your money back in the long run with lower monthly energy bills.
- The battery’s lifespan decreases with age and usage: Solar batteries aren’t as durable as solar panels, which can last decades without much maintenance, but the technology has come a long way and some batteries now come with 10,000 full charge cycle/10 year warranties.
Choosing a Solar Powered Energy Storage System for Your Home in NJ
The best type of solar battery backup system for you will depend on several factors, including the type of solar system you have, the layout of your property, and your energy needs. There are two main types of home energy storage batteries currently on the market – Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) and Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP). We recommend and install LFP batteries exclusively because of their safer chemistry – they will not combust when punctured.
For more information about solar powered energy storage systems and how they can help extend the power of your solar panels generate, please contact our team at Green House Solar today or visit our website at: https://greenhouse.solar/